Friday, July 10, 2009

The Pre-Dump

So I headed to Sun Valley last weekend, partly to hang out with my BFF Morgan and partly to visit this boy I had been talking to almost every day for the last month and a half. I was excited at the prospect because I thought things were going well and was anxious to see how the weekend was going to play out. I make my way up there Thursday night, hang out with said boy and have a really good time. The next day he calls me after he is done with work, but is being kind of weird and standoffish. I try to shrug it off and head over to his house. I do need to clarify one thing, I am in no way “together” with this boy, we are just hanging out, in the getting to know you phase. He lives 4.5 hours away from me for heaven’s sake, I in no way consider him my boyfriend. And yet all of the sudden I hear him start to spew off phrases such as “It’s not you it’s me (which if you know me you know how much I think this line is total bullocks),” “I have been burned in the past (join the club buddy) and I just can’t let myself get into something else,” and “You’re a really beautiful girl, but I don’t want to give you the wrong impression (too late).” I am stunned…I am getting dumped….but wait I am confused I didn’t know we were together? How is it possible that this could be happening? So instead of saying something witty in the moment that would follow along the lines of reminding him that there is no need to “let me go” because in fact he didn’t have me in the first place and perhaps he is putting the cart before the horse, I sit there in total shock and then cry like a bit of a fool. Because, really I don’t like being dumped, I mean what respectable girl does? And when something happens to me I don't like I have a tendency to cry. Not sure why it just seems to be the reaction I have to that. So word to the wise, ladies and gentleman…if you are going to “dump” someone, you should make sure that you are with them first. Because really a pre-dump is just bad form.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Ah...don't you hate it when you WANT to say something witty and clever to put someone in their place....yet tears creep out?! Ugh.

Lisa said...

And your one liners are always so good - I was waiting for it while I read this posting.

Don't you hate it when your emotions come through when you don't want them to? Stupid hormones!

The one good things is that he does live 4.5 hours away :)